The Long Barn Educational Initiative at Broadturn Farm
Executive Director Posting
The Long Barn Educational Initiative at Broadturn Farm is a nonprofit organization whose programs take place in collaboration with Broadturn Farm and the Scarborough Land Trust. We seek a dynamic, visionary Executive Director to lead the organization in its mission to build farm-based knowledge through creative, meaningful programs at Broadturn Farm.
The Long Barn Educational Initiative benefits from a unique collaboration with a working farm and a dedicated land trust. Broadturn Farm is a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farm located 10 miles from Portland, Maine that raises organic vegetables and cut flowers, with livestock on a homestead scale. The farm also hosts weddings and events. The property is in agricultural conservation with the Scarborough Land Trust and is one of the largest farm properties in the Greater Portland area. It has 100 acres of open land and about 300 wooded acres. The property supplies an abundance of both farm- and forest-based opportunities for learning by doing.
Overseen by Long Barn, summer camp at Broadturn Farm has been in operation since 2006, serving hundreds of school-age children in the greater Portland area. In addition, LBEI offers preschool programming, elementary field trips and adult programming.
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- With the Board, create and implement a long term strategic vision for Long Barn Educational Initiative at Broadturn Farm, one that makes use of the farm’s unique assets while advancing the mission, and ensuring financial sustainability
- Provide strong and consistent day-to-day leadership with staff and work effectively and collaboratively with farmers and board members
- Recognize, recruit and train talented educators
- Effectively market Long Barn programs to a wide array of community members using multiple channels and strategies
- Represent Long Barn and articulate the mission actively and compellingly across various contexts and settings
- Develop and maintain an effective program of external community relations including building strategic partnerships with other organizations and schools.
- Lead staff in successful implementation of agriculture, education and recreation programs, including fee-generating programs.
- Manage the budget and resources in an effective and efficient way, oversee short term financial accounting as well as long term strategic business plans
- Develop and implement fundraising efforts for the organization, including membership, events and grant writing
- Communicate clearly with board, farmers, members and community stakeholders including teachers and parents
Experience and skills: Ideal candidates will be passionate about farm-based transformative education, and bring a variety of meaningful education, farming and management skills including:
Leadership. A record of effective leadership experience, both in an organizational and community capacity. Non-profit and revenue-generating program management experience ideal.
Vision. Curiosity, innovation, and capacity to imagine and realize long and short term goals for meaningful farm-based education.
Collaboration. Experience in external relations and community collaboration, ability to work closely with Broadturn farmers and the Scarborough Land Trust
Marketing. Facility in promotion using a variety of web- and mail- based tools, consistent record of reaching appropriate audiences including the ability to be a strong spokesperson on behalf of Long Barn
Financial Management. Strong skills in day-to-day management of finances.
Fundraising. Successful grant writer, event planner and cultivator of members and donors.
Follow through. Ability to organize multiple components, follow up with members and campers, maintain databases, and collect feedback and metrics.
To apply, please send resume and a cover letter via email to email@example.com.
Review of candidates begins January 31st. Applicants will be considered until the position is filled.