Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Positive Thinking



This Week's Harvest:
2 Heads of Lettuce
Collards or Kale
Watermelon Radish
A taste of Peas
A taste of Summer Squash/Zucchini
Napa Cabbage
Green onions
A last taste of Strawberries
Baby Beets with Greens

Collards and Kale are rich leafy greens that are huge assets to anyone's diet. They are brimming with vitamins and fiber.
Watermelon radishes are truly the most beautiful radishes around. When sliced, the colors are vibrant and the taste is perfect radish. I love them made into quick pickles with ume plum vinegar and then add them to salads. They also can't be beat raw with a small dab of butter.
Peas, Summer Squash and Zucchini....the reason for the "taste" is in the yield. Slow to start, these two crops become more abundant each week as their yield peaks and then things will slow down for both crops. The peas are sugar snaps, meaning you can eat the pod.



Napa cabbage makes a lovely slaw and is our favorite for kimchee.
The baby beets can be halved or quartered, drenched in olive oil and roasted on a cookie sheet.

In an effort of full disclosure, I must admit that I am writing to you from under the covers, still in my pajamas. We farmers have a summer cold. Our voices are gone. I have started to let all the phone calls go to voicemail after I confused a few customers with my raspy whisper. I tried a few rounds of Melissa Ethridge "Come to My Window...." for my crew. They sent me back inside with instructions to rest.



And resting....only happens in the hands of an able crew. They are managing the harvest without us this morning. Flora and I are headed to the doctor...she's also under the weather. John's bundled up in the guest bed...we keep each other awake. It makes me feel old to wake up with him in another room.



In my feverish sleep last night, I made and remade boutonnieres for a native species only wedding.



I see squash bugs, everywhere, when I'm trying to rest.



 And all the folks who call about pick-your-own strawberries who want to have a therapy session regarding the lack of organic PYO options....It's been 5 years since we offered PYO strawberries, I don't know of another farm in the area that is certified organic and offers PYO berries. I find myself less and less patient with each phone call... "If you want to pick your own, maybe you should grow your own too! You could be the farmer to satisfy the demand!" Unfortunately, no matter whose picking the berries, the rain is a fast ticket off the strawberry season super-highway. Mold moves in, heavy rain bruises ripe berries. The wet weather takes the crop down fast.


So, positive thinking...? I'm working on it, I really am. What is coming in from the fields is gorgeous. The flowers are breathtaking, the produce is abundant and fresh, and there is great comfort in a solid farm crew. All this things bring solace. I'm looking forward to waking up well and thanking my body for weathering a summer cold. Someday, the rain will stop for a moment, and the laundry left on the line will finally dry and we can hill those potatoes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment